Certified technicians provide higher quality service, help keep you and your family safer and healthier
When you invite a technician into your home to work on your HVAC systems, it’s important to hire only licensed and certified HVAC technicians. HVAC is complicated and can be dangerous if your technician doesn’t have the right knowledge and skills to get the job done correctly the first time.
The right technician will be able to effectively diagnose problems with your heating and cooling systems and perform the necessary repairs. You can bank on a technician that is NATE certified.
What is NATE certification?
North American Technician Excellence (NATE) certification is the most recognized and respected credential for HVAC technicians. Participants are tested on their knowledge of the installation and service of residential and commercial HVAC systems. Technicians can also test on specialized topics including air distribution, heat pumps, gas and oil heating, commercial refrigeration, hydronic gas, and oil, and HVAC efficiency.
Technicians must pass the rigorous, multiple-choice test with a score of 70 or better on the core portion of the exam as well as any specialization tests they take in order to gain NATE certification.
The NATE test was created in the 1990s by a coalition of HVAC industry leaders, including the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-Conditioning Engineers, to validate a technician’s ability to handle service, repair, and maintenance of HVAC systems.
Most NATE certification lasts five years, and to re-certify, technicians must complete 60 hours of continuing education or retake the test again. This ensures technicians stay up-to-date on advances in the industry.
Why Hire a NATE Certified Technician?
While NATE certification is not required for technicians, it does validate a technician’s industry knowledge and continuing commitment to providing the highest quality service for customers.
NATE-certified technicians have been shown to:
- Improve the longevity of your HVAC unit. NATE-certified technicians understand the importance of proper installation and maintenance of your HVAC unit. They will help you maintain your unit with regular check-ups and cleaning. And they’ll troubleshoot and repair any problems you may have to keep it running at peak levels.
- Keep your home comfortable. Is your home too humid? Does the temperature fluctuate too much? If so, then you might want to call a NATE-certified technician to come to evaluate your heating and cooling systems. HVAC units need to be sized, installed and maintained properly to keep your home comfortable and more energy-efficient.
- Increase energy efficiency. A NATE-certified HVAC installer can ensure that your heating and cooling systems are properly installed in your home. That’s important because the U.S. Department of Energy says a unit that’s put in incorrectly reduces your energy efficiency by up to 30%.
- Lower energy bills. When your energy efficiency goes down, either with improper installation or over the life of your unit, your energy bills can go up proportionately. A NATE-certified technician can help keep your equipment running more efficiently and lower your bills with regular preventive maintenance.
- Improve indoor air quality. Properly maintaining your HVAC system is important for your health, especially if you or your family members have allergies. A NATE-certified technician can keep your HVAC unit and ductwork cleaner and leak-free and can help you select a filter that removes even the smallest airborne particulates.
- Give you greater peace of mind. When you see a technician is NATE certified, you know the technician has the knowledge and skills to get your HVAC work done right the first time.
Visit Summit Heating & A/C to schedule an appointment with a NATE-Certified technician. All of Summit Heating & A/C’s technicians are either NATE certified, or in the process of becoming so within the first six months of their date of hire.
From routine maintenance and emergency repairs to quality installation of home comfort systems, Summit Heating & A/C works hard to ensure your satisfaction on every job. If it’s not 100% right, it’s 100% free.
Schedule an appointment with a NATE Certified Technician today!